12.16.2010

Winner of the Contest and Christmas Memory #11

Wow! Those were some great movies and I was pleased to see such good participation and from some new commenters I might add. All right, I plugged every one into a spreadsheet and gave each person that posted more than once an entry for each comment and I used a random number selector. And the winner is...

Jeana! 

It was actually your second comment that won. Not that it mattered what you commented about, but I just thought you'd like to know. I'm excited for you to read this one. E-mail me with your address and I'll drop it in the mail first thing. You've got to promise me to read it soon and then post feedback on what you thought about it.

That was fun! I think I'll do another contest before the week is up for another copy of my book. Maybe tomorrow.

And here's #11 of my cherished Christmas memories...

I was younger and dating my wife, Heidi, out at college. It was getting close to the end of the semester and the Christmas Break and we had plans to go to some school play later that Friday evening. I remember not being that excited about the play because it had been a requirement for one of our classes, Heidi and I shared. While we waited, we snuggled on the couch in my apartment and watched T.V. I really don't know how or why we started dancing, but we did and soon we were jumping around the living room like real dorks. Suddenly, because I wanted to show off my strength to impress Heidi, I hoisted her into the air and started spinning her around as fast as I could. What fun! I remember laughing and smiling up until the point I lost my balance and sent Heidi crashing, head-first, into the windowsill. She ended up with a rather large goose egg and a concussion. Delirious, confused, and probably suffering from a bout of amnesia, Heidi was in poor shape. I was devastated. How could I have done this to her? What was I to do? Well, I did the only reasonable thing I could think to do at the time.

I immediately proposed. The rest is history.

That really didn't happen that way, but most of it did. Actually, it may have happened sometime after Christmas for all I know, but it WAS really cold and snowy. And no, I didn't really propose right after braining her on the windowsill, but for those that know my wife and know me, you'd have to agree she had to have hit her head to marry me. Right?

Anyways. That's a made up Christmas memory, but as long as it lingers in my mind, I claim it as truth.

I know. Lame huh? #11 on my fondest Christmas memories is of a time when I nearly knocked my wife unconscious? Well... yes. It just wouldn't be Christmas without Heidi by my side and I consider all holiday memories with her as cherished. Gabwuf. Sorry, I may have just barfed a little. And if I didn't, I'm pretty sure some of you did.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

It may not have happened at Christmas, but I can totally see you spinning Heidi around the room!

Jennifer Cole Judd said...

Sooo, did you or didn't you spin her around into a windowsill? Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

Angie said...

What a great story....made up or not!

Frank Cole said...

Jen, I did. Nearly knocked her out. And then we went to watch a play and she fell asleep, but so did I, so I'm not blaming it on a concussion. Rather I blame it on a really boring play.