10.18.2010

Let the Madness Begin (In Slide Show Fashion)

Remember the old slide shows with the film projectors? Those were awesome. Which gives me a really dumb idea on how to kick off this new contest.

Boop. (Please turn the projector to the next slide now.)



It's happened before and it's time to do it again. Last time was, to put it Frankly (and I always do), somewhat of a bust. Contests are tricky in my opinion. You have to have something worth giving away. For example, if I suddenly announced I'm having a contest and the prize is half a box of unscented wipes I probably wouldn't get too much participation. Wait, hold it. Nope. Heidi, my wife, thinks I would. Well, I'm not giving away my wipes!

Boop.



But as I read other author blogs, contests and give-a-ways are all the buzz. Is that what my readers want? Free stuff? I know I do. Anytime I can get some free stuff, I'm giddy. I love bookmarks and plastic doohickies. I like getting stuff I will never use or read. There's just a great feeling free stuff creates. So, I'm doing another contest and I'm going to try to make it as uncomplicated as I possibly can.

Boop.



For starters, in order to participate, you have to follow my blog. No exceptions. How hard can it be to click the follow button? What does it accomplish you ask? I have no idea. I don't get paid money for each follower that appears, but for some reason, my head gets bigger. Yeah, there's the whole pride and ego deal, but I firmly believe a bigger head will result in better writing. My brain will have to get bigger as well. For those of you that like my books, this will be a plus, right? And for those of you that have hated my books, despised my writing, called me foolish, this will also be a plus, right? Better writing means you don't have to rip your hair out every time I create a dangling gerund. (I don't think that's really a grammatical term. I don't even know what a gerund is.)

Boop.




I'm currently at 60 followers. Thank you my beloved friends. I owe you so much. You have no idea. I want to get to 100 followers. It's a lofty goal, especially if there aren't many people reading this blog anymore. I haven't had a whole lot of comments recently. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wonder who's out there.


So, that's it. That's the contest. We need to get to 100 followers. I won't set a date or time limit, but I will do this. Whenever my followers increase by 10, I'll put a signed copy of Hashbrown Winters and the Phantom of Pordunce, up for grabs. I will then randomly draw a name of one of my existing followers to win and then I'll ship you the copy. That's right! I'm talking 'bout the new one partner! I've already got some and I want to share. The book hasn't really hit book stores yet! When we hit 80, I'll do another drawing. 90? You catch my drift? All the way to 100. Then I'll have to stop for a while to replenish my stock.

Boop.



Am I crazy? Yes, but what does that have to do with anything I'm talking about right now? There's a good chance I'll end up adding only 1 follower after a month. I'm not shameless. I know the risk. But I need some participants people! What better way to complete your set of Hashbrown books (that's assuming you own the other two) then with a signed copy?

Boop.



K. Contest starts when I click the publish button.

On a side note, check it out on the right column. There's a little announcement about my upcoming release party for Hashbrown Winters and the Phantom of Pordunce. Thursday, November 11th, 6ish (more details to follow) at the Sandy Barnes and Noble, 10180 S. State Street, Sandy, UT. There will be a lot of fun and prizes as well. Let's give a shout out for Free Stuff!!!

8 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

First, I read your blog via Reader, so technically I already follow you, but I can follow you again by clicking the button. Plus 1! Second, it might be beneficial to move the follow button up near the top so it's easier to get to for the time being. Just a thought.

Frank Cole said...

A.J. Dub you rock! Great suggestion! I'll move it up right away.

- jeana said...

i'm already a follower as well, but i so need a copy of number three to add to my collection! signed of course, as are my other two. =) please, please, please, put me in the drawing! oh, and i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the slide show format...

i would also like an entry into the drawing for each student i've read your books to =) don't you think that should count? =) also, (this comment is getting long, so sorry) when are they coming out in hardback??? i run a library, frank, they need to be more durable, these suckers get read, and read, and read... i love it!

numberonedashnerfan said...

Woo free stuff and being a follower..... I will try and come support you on the 11th if I can get a ride.....

Kate said...

The slide show pics are fabulous.

Deena said...

I'm following you!

Dan said...

I am follower #67!! Go me! *Does the happy dance*

Frank Cole said...

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome! Now, go spread the word and see if we can hit 70 by tomorrow. I'm itching to give away a book!